Nelson Hardiman understands that providing healthcare services to individuals with mental health issues is complicated — requiring an understanding of the multiple bodies of law that govern the treatment, rights and protections of these patients.
We are known for our depth of experience in meeting the needs and accomplishing the goals of mental health treatment providers. Our advice and counsel extend across all phases of the business cycle, and also focuses on resolving complex regulatory and dispute matters. Nelson Hardiman counsels mental healthcare providers on every conceivable business, regulatory, and strategic challenge encountered within the scope of the myriad state and federal laws that govern mental health treatment and related issues of medical privacy.
Our Work Includes:
- Contracts Negotiate and structure employment, health system and managed care contracts.
- Licensure and Certification Advised on licensure, certification and/or related matters with respect to social rehabilitation facilities.
- Life Coach Organization Compliance Counseled life coaching organization on compliance with mental health professional licensing laws.
- Privacy and Information Security Counseled providers on HIPAA and state health information privacy laws and development of privacy compliance programs.
- Psychotherapy Patients’ Right to Privacy Involved in an ongoing case before the California Supreme Court concerning whether a patient has the reasonable expectation of privacy with a therapist.
- Reimbursement Audits and Investigations Represent mental healthcare providers in reimbursement audits and investigations, including DEA inquiries; conduct audit risk assessments.
- Transactions Advise on all aspects of business transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, asset purchase and sales agreements, and joint ventures.
- Reimbursement Successfully defended autism resource provider against reimbursement audit and recoupment effort from a commercial health plan.
- Compliance Structured licensing compliance and negotiated contracts for a national network of school-based providers of services to students on the autism spectrum.
- Reimbursement Dispute Resolved reimbursement dispute and negotiated in-network relationship for a provider of child developmental disability services.
- Private Equity Investment Negotiated private equity investment into Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) provider clinics.