Mergers & Acquisitions
In the highly regulated, increasingly consolidated healthcare industry, Nelson Hardiman has attracted national attention for our support for some of the largest mergers and acquisitions actions. We play a key role in large hospital mergers and acquisitions, massive skilled nursing combinations, home health and hospice transactions, and transactions in behavioral health (including substance use disorder (SUD) treatment facilities, mental health programs, psychiatric hospitals, and autism (ABA) programs). We bring a strategic perspective to buying and selling, from negotiating letters of intent and structuring deals to negotiating transaction terms, diligence, and closing. We are well versed in both core corporate issues, as well as the underlying regulatory issues that drive and inform healthcare transactions of all sizes and in all parts of the industry.
The lawyers in our transactional practice group represent healthcare organizations in complex mergers and acquisitions and draw on their experience in hospital management, corporate finance and banking, and prior work with global law firms. Our clients include healthcare entities, life sciences, and telehealth companies, and international investors seeking cross-border healthcare acquisitions. Some of the most discerning entities in healthcare turn to Nelson Hardiman for advice on structuring, negotiating, documenting, and closing M&A deals.
Our Work Includes:
- Due Diligence and Noticing Managed due diligence and pre-and post-acquisition notices for venture capital purchase of multiple ambulatory surgery centers and pain clinics.
- Entity Formation Formed new entity for merger and subsequent sale of a group of dermatopathology laboratories with financing of over $15 million.
- Merger & Acquisition Represented a large dermatology practice, including a dermatopathology lab, in an approximately $15 million acquisition. The complex transaction required a complicated series of financial tranches structured to meet tax and regulatory requirements.
- Merger Cases Advised on Clayton Act and Sherman Act merger cases, defended Section 7 cases in US District Court, made Hart-Scott-Rodino and related filings, handled extensive Second Requests, and Civil Investigation Demands.
- Multi-State Acquisition Advised a non-US buyer with respect to healthcare regulatory issues in the multi-million dollar purchase of stocks in nine physician clinics and outpatient surgery centers located in California, Nevada and Florida.
- Regulatory Filing Plan Developed 50 state post-acquisition regulatory filing plan for large diagnostics company.
- Regulatory Due Diligence Performed regulatory due diligence for a large health care distribution company’s purchase of a health care technology company.